- Programs & Events
- Taking Action
- President's Advisory Commission on Women's Issues
- Michigan Partners Project
- Visiting Social Activists Program
- Carol Hollenshead Award
- Women and Economic Security: Changing Policy and Practice Conference
- UM Campus Issues
- Campus Sexual Assault Policy Conference 2012
- Taking Action on State and National Issues
- Support CEW
How to Apply
NOTE: The deadline has passed for submitting applications and nominations for activists wishing to stay in Ann Arbor between September 2015 and April 2017.
The Visiting Social Activist program defines social justice and equity programs broadly to include activism in such areas as housing, employment, income support, food security, education, violence, child care, health care, and employer benefits like paid sick leave and retirement income. The program supports activists whose work addresses gender equity issues that affect the lives of women and/or girls.
Visiting Social Activist Product
Interested activists must develop a product proposal relevant to their work. Product examples include a report, plan of action, communication strategy, training tool or other item. The product will later be published on CEW’s website. Nominees must outline a plan for working on the product during their four-week stay and describe how insights gained from the visit will be integrated into the activist’s future work. Ideally, nominees should be able to suggest ways to disseminate their product in order to advance the work of other activists. Product ideas with the potential to have a regional or national impact and/or to be replicable by other activists are encouraged.
Nomination, Application & Selection Process
The process to select future Visiting Social Activists occurs every other year. Two activists are selected at a time, with their Ann Arbor residencies typically scheduled for the following two academic years (i.e., September through April). For example, in April 2013, Diana Copeland was selected for a residency in October 2013 and Nancy Duff Campbell was selected for a residency in September 2014.
The review process is currently underway to select activists for residencies between September 2015 and April 2017. We are open to receiving materials for activists whose stay would be between September 2017 and April 2019. Applications and nominations should be submitted to Beth Sullivan at email@example.com.
- Activists should complete the application form.
- Individuals who want to nominate another person should submit a nomination form. CEW will contact the activist to see if they wish to submit an application.
- If you would like to be considered for assisting with the process of reviewing applications and selecting the 2017-2019 Visiting Social Activists, please contact Beth Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org.