Call for Proposals: Carol Hollenshead Award for Excellence in Promoting Equity and Social Change
In honor of former director Carol Hollenshead’s twenty-year tenure at CEW+, the Carol Hollenshead Award for Excellence in Promoting Equity and Social Change will be awarded at the CEW+ Advocacy Symposium on Tuesday, October 29, 2019, where recipients will present a lightning talk about their work. In addition, each recipient will lead a 90-minute workshop once during AY19-20 as a component of the CEW+Inspire Initiative focused on wellness while creating social change. The intent of Inspire workshops is to highlight the authentic journeys of social change leaders, spotlighting them as role models for others aspiring to work towards social change.
CEW+ is seeking proposal submissions for this $1,000 award by July 22, 2019, from faculty, staff, postdoctorate, research fellow, and students, whose sustained efforts have resulted in greater equity in regard to gender, race, class, age, disability, gender identity, or sexual orientation at Michigan or beyond. Honorees will be those who, like Carol, have proven that social change is possible through persistent hard work and who demonstrate that one person can make a lasting difference in their communities. The theme for the 2019-20 award is Redefining Leadership.
CRITERIA FOR THE AWARD
- Sustained effort and demonstrated outcomes in achieving greater equity in this community or beyond
- Creativity in devising strategic approaches to advocacy and problem solving
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Effective coalition building
To receive this award, recipients must meet the following conditions:
- Be a student, postdoctorate, research fellow, staff, or faculty (emeritus, current tenure-track, or non-tenure track faculty) at UM-Ann Arbor, Dearborn, or Flint.**
- Present a lightning talk (5-7 min) the afternoon of Tuesday, October 29, 2019, at the CEW+ Advocacy Symposium at the Michigan League.
- Lead a 90-minute workshop between November 2019 and July 2020, that includes your authentic journey and time for attendees to ask questions. Your workshop will be followed by a hands-on wellness activity tailored to complement your talk. This activity will be created by CEW+ staff unless you are interested in leading a hands-on component to your workshop.
**Group submission of any composition is welcomed.
CEW+ encourages interested students, staff, and faculty members to apply and welcomes any questions you may have prior to submission.
Application due Monday, July 22, 2019. Please follow this link to view and complete the application: https://umich.qualtrics.com/jf