Call for Proposals: Carol Hollenshead Inspire Award for Excellence in Promoting Equity and Social Change
In honor of former director Carol Hollenshead’s twenty-year tenure at CEW+, the Carol Hollenshead Inspire Award for Excellence in Promoting Equity and Social Change will be awarded at the CEW+ Advocacy Symposium on Thursday, September 10, where recipients will present a lightning talk about their work. In addition, each recipient will lead a 90-minute workshop once during academic year 2020-21 as a component of the CEW+Inspire Initiative focused on wellness while creating social change. The intent of Inspire workshops is to highlight the authentic journeys of social change leaders, spotlighting them as role models for others aspiring to work towards social change.
CEW+ is seeking proposal submissions for this award ($1000 for individuals; $2000 for groups) by May 15, 2020 (extended from April 1, 2020 due to COVID-19), from faculty, staff, postdoctorate, research fellow, and students, whose sustained efforts have resulted in greater equity in regard to gender, race, class, age, disability, gender identity, or sexual orientation at Michigan or beyond. Honorees will be those who, like Carol, have proven that social change is possible through persistent hard work and who demonstrate that one person can make a lasting difference in their communities.
The theme for the 2020-21 award is Allies. Preference will be given for proposals that align with the theme and proposals that are submitted by groups.
CRITERIA FOR THE AWARD
- Sustained effort and demonstrated outcomes in achieving greater equity in this community or beyond
- Creativity in devising strategic approaches to advocacy and problem solving
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Effective coalition building
To receive this award, recipients must meet the following conditions:
- Be a student, postdoctorate, research fellow, staff, or faculty (emeritus, current tenure-track, or non-tenure track faculty) at UM-Ann Arbor, Dearborn, or Flint.**
- Present a lightning talk (5-7 min) the afternoon of Thursday, September 10, at the CEW+ Advocacy Symposium at the Michigan League.
- Lead a 90-minute workshop between November 2020 and May 2021, which includes your authentic journey and time for attendees to ask questions. Your workshop will be followed by a hands-on wellness activity tailored to complement your talk.
CEW+ encourages interested students, staff, and faculty members to apply and welcomes any questions you may have prior to submission.
Please follow this link to view and complete the application.