CEW+Inspire Workshop | Dismantling Neutrality
Jamie Simmons, MSW Student and Leslie Tetteh, MSW/ MA Student, CEW+ 2020 Carol Hollenshead Inspire Award for Excellence in Promoting Equity & Social Change Award Winners
“Ignorance is not bliss. It’s deadly.” This is an intersectional workshop for staff, administrators, and students (undergraduate and graduates) to enhance their self-awareness of privilege and power. These two advantages are barriers for folx who do not have the same opportunities. A lack of awareness about privilege can also block people from practicing true allyhood. The workshop also challenges our participants to determine ways to hold themselves accountable for supporting students of color by developing an individualized strategic plan to follow to practice allyship. Participants will engage with discussion questions that promote personal reflection about allyhood and what areas participants can improve upon do more to be a better ally for students of color.
The learning outcomes of this interactive workshop include:
- Participants will establish their intention in allyhood for folx with intersecting identities.
- Participants will practice — and develop methods for interrupting oppression within their communities and beyond.
- Participants will demonstrate self-awareness of oppressive actions and thoughts that contribute to the oppression of students of color.
- Participants will become familiar with on and off-campus resources that provide additional support for students of color.
- Participants will develop their understanding of structural inequities in society and in higher education that impacts students of color.
- Interactive training filled with: a presentation of historical information around allyship within racial and social justice issues, small and large group discussion with prompts around coalition building and allyship, current event exercises to practice effective coalition building, personal and group reflection.
The workshop is from 3:30-4:30, followed by a networking reception until 5:00.