Outreach, Recruiting, Campus Climate – You Can’t Do One Without the Other
Michigan League, Vandenberg Room, 2nd Floor, 911 N. University, Ann Arbor
This workshop highlights different types of outreach activities at the University of Michigan, in particular, D-RISE and Wolverine Pathways, and discusses their outcomes with recruiting underrepresented minority (URM) students from the greater Detroit area to Michigan, especially in STEM areas. The workshop will also explore ongoing campus climate issues, and discuss approaches that can be implemented to fundamentally address campus climate issues in more effective ways.
Professor Nicolai Lehnert, a 2021 Carol Hollenshead Inspire Award recipient, will begin the workshop with a flash talk about the D-RISE outreach program. A panel discussion, which features three campus leaders that are deeply involved in working on these issues, and current students from the University of Michigan, will follow.
The panel discussion will be moderated by Catalina Concha-Ormsby (Associate Director, CEO).
- Dr. Angela Dillard, (Chair, Department of History, Richard A. Meisler Collegiate Professor of Afroamerican & African Studies, and former Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education, LS&A)
- Dr. Carla O’Connor, (Director, Wolverine Pathways;University Diversity and Social Transformation Professor and Arthur F Thurnau Professor, School of Education)
- Dr. Whitney Peoples, (Director, Office for Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion, University of Michigan School of Public Health)
University of Michigan Student Leaders:
- Khyle Cross, Undergraduate Student, Senior, Political Science, LSA
- Emmanuel Navarro, Graduate Student Instructor, PhD Student Rackham and LSA – Romance Language & Literature Spanish
An integral part of the Inspire initiative is pairing advocacy, social change, and activism with skills that enhance a sense of well-being, focus, and interconnectedness. A short guided Mindfulness Meditation practice will be incorporated into the program.
Participants are invited to stay after the workshop to enjoy refreshments and continued conversations.
Professor Lehnert 2021 lightning talk – D-RISE: Encouraging and Growing STEM Participation can be found here.