CEW+ Scholar Community
The CEW+ Scholar Community consists of current and former CEW+ scholarship recipients (nearly 1800), and exists to support, inspire, and unleash the collective power of scholars and fellows to make a positive impact in their lives, in their communities, and in the world. In 2015, with support from the Scholar Success Fund, the initiative launched and continues to build momentum.
Current features include:
- Advisory committee: The Scholar Community Advisory Committee consists of current and former Scholars who give a voice to the interests and needs of the Scholar Community and direct many of the activities. The Committee is also mindful of the needs of underserved students and creating programs that welcomes students beyond the Community.
- Lunch and Learn Series: An informal lunch hour learning series features members of Scholar Community sharing a passion and their expertise on a wide range of topics. Open to all, the series aims to build community, increase skills or knowledge, in a supportive space. Topics to date include-setting and managing goals, tools for making life easier, business presentation skills, keeping a nature journal, and the art of making perfect hummus.
- Scholar Summer Soirée: In August, CEW+ Scholars welcome new scholarship recipients with an event that focuses on connecting new and past Scholars before the rush of the academic year. The event features dinner, networking, and information about the features of the Scholar community.
- A Private Facebook Page: A space to network.
- Women Write Now: Zilka Joseph, poet educator, and 2008 Elsie Choy Lee Scholar, facilitates a monthly writing workshop for Scholars to share work, receive feedback, and discuss ways to strengthen their writing.