CEW+ is able to offer small emergency grants to current U-M Ann Arbor graduate students and nontraditional undergraduate students (including, but not limited to: returning students, those with children, emancipated. These grants are called Critical Difference (CD) grants. These CD grants are for unexpected financial emergencies that threaten to derail degree progress.
Students may request a grant by calling our office to make a counseling appointment and noting that the appointment is regarding a possible CD grant.
Prior to making an appointment, it is the student’s responsibility to make sure that their request fits within the following parameters:
- Request is to cover unexpected, emergent expense (please note that receipts and other documentation may be requested)
- A FAFSA* is on file with the Office of Financial Aid and there is unmet need in your budget
- You are a current U-M Ann Arbor student
- You have not already received a CD from CEW this academic year (September 5, 2017 and later)
- You already have some educational loan indebtedness** (you will need to bring a statement with your student loan total to your appointment — see www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/ to obtain that information)
We cannot grant CDs to cover the following:
- As a replacement for student loans
- Anticipated or chronic funding gap
- Conferences/training or conference travel
- Study abroad
**There may be exceptions to this, such as if you are an international student whose financial situation has changed unexpectedly, or do not have access to loans.
To schedule an appointment, call (734) 764-6360 or stop in at CEW+. Because counseling appointments go very quickly and are scheduled by numerous people, it works best if you call our office directly so that we have the most current availability in front of us. There is no charge for counseling appointments, which are available to anyone, whether affiliated with the University or not. If this is your first appointment, you will be scheduled for an intake appointment to fill out paperwork, and a counseling appointment immediately following. Please pay attention to the details you will receive in your appointment reminder email, as CEW+’s policy is to cancel an appointment if you are late for your intake. After your appointment, you will have the opportunity to complete a brief satisfaction survey.
If you have questions about your specific circumstances or eligibility, please call our office at (734) 764-6360 to request an appointment with one of our counselors.