Emergency Funding

CEW+ is able to offer small emergency grants to current U-M Ann Arbor graduate students and underserved undergraduate students (including but not limited to: returning students, those with children, emancipated, first generation, transfer students). These grants, called Emergency Funds (EF), are for unexpected financial emergencies that threaten to derail degree progress.

Students may request a grant by calling our office at 734-764-6360 to make a counseling appointment and noting that the appointment is regarding a possible Emergency Fund grant.


Prior to making an appointment, it is the student’s responsibility to make sure that their request fits within the following parameters:

  • Request is to cover unexpected, emergent expense (please note that receipts and other documentation may be requested)
  • A FAFSA* is on file with the Office of Financial Aid and there is unmet need in your budget
  • You are a current U-M Ann Arbor student
  • You have not already received Emergency Funds from CEW+ in the current academic year

Unfortunately, we cannot grant Emergency Funds to cover the following:

  • As a replacement for student loans
  • Anticipated or chronic funding gap
  • Conferences/training or conference travel
  • Study abroad

*There may be exceptions to this, such as if you are an international student or an undocumented student, in which case this criterion is waived.

To schedule an appointment to determine your eligibility for an Emergency Fund grant, call (734) 764-6360 or stop in at CEW+. There is no charge for counseling appointments. If this is your first appointment, you will be scheduled for an intake appointment to fill out paperwork, and a counseling appointment immediately following. Please pay attention to the details you will receive in your appointment reminder email, as it contains important information about the process of requesting funds. After your appointment, you will have the opportunity to complete a brief satisfaction survey.

If you have questions about your specific circumstances or eligibility, please email cew.appts@umich.edu, or call our office at (734) 764-6360 to request an appointment with one of our counselors.